Manning Wardle were a locomotive manufacturer based in Jack Lane, Leeds. They rose from the ashes of early loco maker E.B.Wilson. Foreseeing the forthcoming demise of the firm, Works Manager Alexander Campbell formed a new partnership with financial backers J.Manning and C.W.Wardle (a local vicar). They established a new works on land adjacent to E.B.Wilson’s Railway Foundry, land that was part of the estate of Lord Boyne.they ceased trading in 1927.
“Sir Berkeley”, No1210 of 1890, was a typical Manning Wardle 0-6-0 saddle tank. It was used by contractors Logan & Hemmingway on a number of projects, including construction of the Great Central Railway.
In 1992, now owned by the Vintage Carriages Trust, “Sir Berkeley” was the motive power for an unusual steam trip – a rail tour of Scunthorpe steelworks arranged by the Appleby-Frodingham Railway Preservation Society.